Thorndon Park 16th Feb

willibob
At last, looks to be a weather window for us tomorrow. Forecast looks good but wind likely to be light first thing.
I was there Thursday testing, underfoot was wet and sticky so make sure your boots are waterproof.
If we have a turn out similar to Hylands it will be a great day. Look forward seeing you all.

Re: Thorndon Park 16th Feb

Mark
Hope you have a good fly tomorrow, looks like it's going to be a good day.

Re: Thorndon Park 16th Feb

willibob
This post was updated on .
What a surprise to greet us on arrival. A full car park and the surrounding access roads all full of cars what was going on.
I managed to slip into a disabled parking bay while I treked over to the pavillion to make enquiries to find the gathering was the south essex cross country league meeting. Checking the Thorndon Park web site, not a mention. However I was informed by the organisers, Thift Green Trotters, the race would be over by11.00 and all cleared up by 12.00, so duly texted every one I thought may be coming, to pass on the unfortunate news.
Seeing there was little chance of parking I decided to go home and return at 11.30, except just as I approached the car park exit I observed a lady unlocking her van and exquired if she was leaving. I was in luck she was and the space was grabbed, much to the disappointment of another driver just entering the car park.
Contemplating whether to sit it out, or fly and thinking how wonderful it would be for our club to attract so many participants that we could overwhelm the venue car parks, I decided I would test out my ultralite Dunton Taylor just completed last week and watch the closing stages of the race at the same time. It brought memories back of days gone by when mum & dads taxi ferried my son and his athletic club colleagues all over the country to compete.
The peace was interupted by my mobile phone, Courtney stuck on the approach road trying to get in. What the **!!"" is going on I cant get near the place. Having explained the situation he decided to turn round and go to his local Hainault park to fly.
With the final stragglers crawling up the hill slipping & sliding to the finish line, I decided to return to the car and Sandra for a coffee and assess what was going on in the car park.
Some of the early finishers were back to their cars changing into some thing more appropriate and pulling away. There was more leaving than coming in so decided to try and find a better parking place. Success a person was preparing to pull out so pulled into the disabled bay again and waited till the space was free and took it over.
Close by I observed Phil Hulse & Micheal, so popped over for a chat waiting for the runners to disperse.
On returning to my car the ambulance driver was starting up his vehicle so nipped over to see if his departure was imminent. In about 5 mins was his reply so I waited patiently for him to move and then took up my usual position at the entrance to the field.
Just about 11.30 now for some flying. Phil & Micheal set up mid field and I set up a couple of lifters on the far edge. Not liking the Peter Lynn style lifter changed it to the sled 36, more stable. Then put up the HQ flowform 2.0 recently aquired from a well known auction site. Flew quite well and fairly stable most of the time.
Reg had arrived and after a chat continued with my task in hand. Polly, recently completed was due for her test fly. Not very impressive at first but with bridle adjustments improvements were made however she was not filling properly so decided to take the scissors to the air intake valve. Hay presto she filled out and flew successfully. Another short session on the sewing m/c to clean up where the scissores had been and she will be ready for the coming season.
Vernon & Margret had arrived and after chatting a spot of lunch was on the cards.
Reg had left so after some refreshment it was up to Vernon, myself, Phil & Micheal to entertain the public in what was very nice conditions, sunshine and light to med wind.
All in all an excellent day after the appalling recent weather.
Polly

Re: Thorndon Park 16th Feb

Turboman
I was passing Hainault on my way back from going to a Toms pond shop because one of my filters had packed up in my pond. I see a kite as I came over the hill and went in to see who was flying it and found Courtney it was a loverly sunny day but christ was it cold which sent June scurrying back to the car very quickly. Courtney ask HAVE GOT ANY KITES no sorry said I am only passing and not stopping just came in to see who was flying he looked a little disappointed but as normal he soon had some attention form the public so left him to it to go home and dip my hand in freezing water to fix the pump. Hope this bloody weather soon warms up with some nice winds. I got 2 new one's to fly.