Royston Kite Festival - 2nd August 2015

12

Royston Kite Festival - 2nd August 2015

EKG WebMaster
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Royston Kite Festival, Sunday 2nd August 2015, 10:30 to 4:30pm
Therfield Heath, Royston. SG8 5BG

Each year the Essex Kite Group gets an invite to fly and promote our club at the Royston Kite Festival, a charity event in aid of Willow, who arrange 'special days for seriously ill young adults'.
The event is usually very well supported, fairly easy to get to and makes a great day out. We are urging members to come along and support the event. Alongside the main area there's a large field where kites can be flown all day and the Essex Kite Group will be expected to display a selection of kites in the arena.. about 15 minutes of standing around with a kite on a short line - that's all. There's also an altitude sprint competition if you'd like to take part, it can't be too hard because even I won it a couple of years back!
Throughout the day there are kite displays, stalls and other attractions going on, food wagons and off course ice-cream vans.
If you would like to attend, please register your interest here or on Facebook. Enthusiastic EKG helpers and flyers will get a contribution towards their fuel costs.

For more information: Royston Kite Festival 2015
EKG WebMaster

Re: Royston Kite Festival - 2nd August 2015

Turboman
John N June will be coming what time can we get on the field I know it has to be a bit sharp before they open

Re: Royston Kite Festival - 2nd August 2015

That's great news, hopefully Frank will be along with an answer to your question.
In the mean time - do you require directions?

Re: Royston Kite Festival - 2nd August 2015

FrankW
Hi all,

The following is from the event organiser:

"We have requested that you set up your stalls between 9.00 a.m. and 10.00 a.m. If you wish to arrive a bit earlier that will be fine, but not too early as we need time to do a certain amount of work in the arena field first. You can bring cars, vans etc. onto the arena field for unloading things and setting up, but we ask that vehicles be removed from the arena field by 10.00 a.m. and there is no movement of vehicles after 10.00 a.m. in the arena field. There is a large parking area (free) adjacent to the arena field. The nearest postcode is SG8 5BG.

You will be met on arrival at the entrance to the arena field by a Rotarian who will give you the number of your pitch and give directions to it."

It will be good to see you there. Please remember your club membership card to show at the gate if there is any problem about entrance - although I am told there is normally no trouble.

I will post my mobile number closer to the day if you need to contact either me or Daphne.

Let's have a great day flying!

Regards, Frank and Daphne.
Frank Wright

Re: Royston Kite Festival - 2nd August 2015

Turboman
Last year EKG members were allowed to park up on the field because we have a large amount of kites. If this is not possible then there will be no flying because I would not carry that lot up the hill. But dont think there is going to be a problem as they seem to be very accommodating to us. There is also the problem with security if we have to dump and run then pick up at the end of the day we will have to have someone on guard all day. Is the club tent going to be there. Does Ernie still have it. Plus will the club kite be there to fly.

Re: Royston Kite Festival - 2nd August 2015

Mark
John, are you not going to bite on my earlier comment "In the mean time - do you require directions?"
I remember last year someone went to the wrong place

Each time I've been, parking has not been a problem, someone can always assist carry your gear if needed.
Yes, we plan on using the shelter, in itself it's advertising for our club!
Another consideration is it would be nice to get hold of the club banners & poles.
Not sure about the club kites, we can enquire and report back on that one. I see no reason why not, it's more a case of who has space for them... shelter included, it's a pretty big bag.

Re: Royston Kite Festival - 2nd August 2015

Turboman
Yes I did note the comment but chose to ignore it LOL I have the post code so that will do not like last year when I was given a dodgy post code

Re: Royston Kite Festival - 2nd August 2015

FrankW
I have sent an email to the organiser of the festival just to check we will be given the same parking privileges as in previous years. - played the large amount of heavy kit, constant kite changes, age of our members blah blah... card, which is all valid IMHO :)

I have also emailed Ernie about collecting the club tent and banners etc from him before the event.

I will get back when I receive a reply from either of them :)

Frank.
Frank Wright

Turboman
If Ernie is going perhaps he can take the kit with him. If need be a can take some with me. Like the tent and flowform.

Re: Royston Kite Festival - 2nd August 2015

FrankW
Just got this from the show organiser:

"I don’t expect to change where all of the kite fliers are.  I expect spot to be same as last year, so should be no problem parking behind as you were last year."

..So all is good in that respect.
Frank Wright

Re: Royston Kite Festival - 2nd August 2015

Turboman
Well, done Frank really looking forward to this one as it's the first for this year and probably the last until next year.

Re: Royston Kite Festival - 2nd August 2015

Mark
Bad news, my chauffeur for the day has a knee injury so I don't have transport.

Re: Royston Kite Festival - 2nd August 2015

Bighal
What is the correct post code?
SG8 5GB as shown on the news page or SG8 5BG as shown on this conversation ?
Thanks

The one in this conversation SG8 5BG is the closest. Basically, I believe it is just to the west of the golf club.
Frank Wright

Can anyone travelling through, or going close to Chelmsford give Mark (see above) a lift to the event?
Frank Wright

Re: Royston Kite Festival - 2nd August 2015

FrankW
The weather forecast looks good for Royston on Sunday - dry, with wind from the south, freshening as the day progresses, sunshine in the afternoon.
Frank Wright

Re: Royston Kite Festival - 2nd August 2015

Turboman
What a fantastic day the sun was out for most of the day and when it wasn't it was still hot the wind did play around a bit but it was mainly a good flying day with lots and lots of stuff in the air. Great company plus a great day out. Royston lived up to a fabulous kite festival. Long may it continue to go on year in year out.

Re: Royston Kite Festival - 2nd August 2015

Mark
Agreed, it was nice to hear all the comments the family made on the way home, everyone had such a nice day.

Re: Royston Kite Festival - 2nd August 2015

Turboman
So one can assume you got home OK after your little car mishap.
12