Royston Charity Kite Festival 2016

Mark
This post was updated on .
According to the Cambridge news..
"Sunshine and a light breeze provided the perfect weather conditions for Royston Kite Festival".
Read more at http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/royston-kite-festival-reels-in-the-crowds-once-again/story-29594464-detail/story.html#IDZdfFWzL5zEKMhj.99

Check out the video listed in the comments section too.

Great day out but a bit too windy.
Thanks for the lift Frank.
Mark

Edit: also check out 'Royston Charity Kite Festival' on FaceBook.

Re: Royston Charity Kite Festival 2016

kgallifant
Boy they know how to tell em eh!

Re: Royston Charity Kite Festival 2016

Mark
I think they must have been stood in the tombola tent when they took a wind measurement!

I also want to know who put all those grass cutting in my bags, the stuff is everywhere!

I just took my line off the reel & I had 1,800 feet of line out at one point, that's a record for me
No doubt Daphne will trump that.

Re: Royston Charity Kite Festival 2016

Mark
Here's one for you all, I took this in obviously a quiet moment. Team Spectrum were just setting up kites for their next display.

How many kites can you spot in the air?

There's a larger size picture HERE if you are keen

Re: Royston Charity Kite Festival 2016

FrankW
You know the wind is too strong when it takes four people and twenty minutes to recover your kite from the altitude contest - and when commercial jets are veering away :)

Mark, well done - owner of the first kite in space :)
Frank Wright

Re: Royston Charity Kite Festival 2016

Mark
LOL. You know, credit has to go to Daphne who made that reel, the line was coming off at a blazing speed and I had to put my thumb on the line to slow it down. I remember looking down my line at one point and admiring the spiral of line created by the centrifugal forces.
In hindsight it may have been useful to look around at what others were doing... perhaps I didn't need to go that high. I was concentrating so much on what I was doing and the safety aspect of it.
Hope they didn't spill their drinks in the jet.. but at least they got a good look at my kite.

Despite being in the clubs shelter a fair amount of the time, I still really caught the sun.

Re: Royston Charity Kite Festival 2016

I see two a red one and a blue one

Re: Royston Charity Kite Festival 2016

Turboman
No there balloons some one has just lost them

Re: Royston Charity Kite Festival 2016

Mark
More Royston Charity Kite Festival news in the press:

http://www.royston-crow.co.uk/news/punters_luck_out_at_royston_kite_festival_1_4649923

and a blog from billboyheritagesurvey's-
https://billboyheritagesurvey.wordpress.com/2016/08/09/royston-kite-festival-2016/

A few shots in there of the clubs and club members kites and the 3-man team bringing down Ernie's Flowform.