Royston - 2017

Mark
This post was updated on .
Sorry guys, I took a camera but didn't use it - so no pictures for the gallery from me. Just a mobile phone shot below.
As usual, a great event and a healthier turnout of supporting club members for this event. Lots of sunshine and pretty good winds if a little gusty at times.
This year there we a few less kite flyers and a few less stalls but a classic car meeting has been added to the programme. An area of grass had been mowed for public kite flying which was a welcomed addition and it was good to see that it was used to its fullest potential - all day long!
In the arena were the usual demonstrations plus a young chap on a buggy contraption assisted by a Nasa Wing Kite which later dragged him and 4 helpers down the field... fun until a harness parted.
This year the altitude sprint competition was won by Stephen, just not enough wind for my kite but much easier to recover the kites than last year for those that remember.
One of the highlights of the day was when kite flyers and public came together to fly 25 swallow kites together, each kite marking a year of the running of the Royston Kite Festival, it was quite a spectacle and I would expect you could find pictures of this on social media sites etc.
Thanks go out to Daphne for selling all of the clubs stock of kites, the event organisers, the couple on the Tannoy system, the kite flyers that make this event what it is and lastly for the wedding cake.
Royston Kite Festival - 2017

YouTube timelapse video by Andrew Scott

Re: Royston - 2017

willibob
Glad the weather was kind once again and looks to have had a great attendance . Sorry I wasn't fit enough to attend but won't be long before I'm flying again.
Glad you all had a good day an looking forward to flying with you soon.

Re: Royston - 2017

FrankW
Sad that we were all too busy to take photos, but a great day!

Thanks to all who turned up and helped - I think that the EKG made a really big impression at the festival this year.

GREAT STUFF!
Frank Wright

Re: Royston - 2017

Mark
This post was updated on .
Apology accepted Ernie, best recover fully before playing with the big stuff.

Speaking of which... next year make sure we have suitable ground stakes for the very loose soil conditions there. I managed OK with what I had for my mid-sized kites but the larger kites need solid ground stakes.

I think what with the 2 new club banners, the clubs shelter, the EKG Kite Group banner and our kite selling stall, we had a good thing going on there. People certainly knew who we were