Layer Marney Towers

Turboman
Yesterday we all arrived at the Towers to find there was some bumpy old wind knocking about. The kite's that went up got knocked about as well. The wind later got up to some heavy gusts taking my 24 screaming across the sky taking Ernie's kite clean out. Fortunately it landed just on top of the trees at the bottom of the field with line laying just inside and we where able to pul it back. In helping to roll the tail up I managed to find a pin which had been left in during the making it stabbed me in between my little finger quite deep which in turn made me jump around a bit. Mainly cos it bloody hurt. But at least we got the kite back said one bright spark and I had to stand back so as not to bleed on Ernie's kite.  All in all it was a very good day with loads of compliments from one of the Layer Marney staff. I managed to get up my vlag plus my new Union Jack kite. There were also some new members join and an old member rejoin so a very good day all round. Roll on Wick.

Re: Layer Marney Towers

FrankW
The Layer Marney event was good, a couple of our established EKG people did not make an appearance, but some of our newer members turned up which balanced it out, thank goodness.

Welcome to Simon our newest member, who flies revs and two liners. Also welcome back to Richard a lapsed member who chose to rejoin us. Sorry I did not get a chance to have a chat with you Richard, next time perhaps.

A big bonus was Guy Reynolds and his family turning up with his “super hero” inflatables which certainly helped fill the sky.

Thank you all for making the effort!

The public turnout was about the same as other years. It is never a great crowd puller as I believe the owners of Layer Marney do not advertise it outside of there own website. But I think it is a lovely venue to fly at. Above all the weather held up with a good, but gusty wind and no rain other than a couple of spots all day. I know it is pushing fate, but I seem to have been lucky regarding weather since I became the EKG secretary :)

Thanks as well to the staff of Layer Marney, who are always helpful.

Finally, we both made and sold a few kites which all helps our club funds. Thanks to the Kite Workshop team, you are stars!

Onwards to the Wick...
Frank Wright

Re: Layer Marney Towers

Sorry about the pin John hope your injury is healing and thanks for assisting to recover the kite.
I had a very enjoyable day and glad to be back flying kites, thankfully the rain kept away and there were no wet kites to get dry. I was sorry some of the regular members didn't make it as it would have been good to meet up. However it was great to have Guy Reynolds a flyer of international acclaim with his unique display of large inflatables of Super Hero's and Bears which gave the public something to be amazed at and are crafted by Guy himself.