Layer Marney Towers Kite Festival - 6th September 2015 - 12pm to 5pm

Layer Marney Towers Kite Festival - 6th September 2015 - 12pm to 5pm

EKG WebMaster
Administrator
Just a reminder that the Layer Marney Towers Kite Festival is coming up soon, clear your calendar for the 6th of September and come along, it's a great day out for all the family.
The event is open to the public from mid-day to 5pm but kiters can arrive earlier (but not too early!) to set up kites, gazebo's, shelters and ground displays.
As usual, there will be a kite workshop going on during the event in the long hall. If you haven't already volunteered to do your bit for club and country, I'm sure Vernon and the gang would love to have some extra helpers during busy periods.
Please come along and help decorate the sky with colourful kites and line laundry, the LMTKF is one of those events that afterwards we so often hear.. "that was brilliant, I'm definitely coming next year".
Hope to see you there!

Website and a bit of info here:
http://www.layermarneytower.co.uk/events/kite-festival-2/
EKG WebMaster

Re: Layer Marney Towers Kite Festival - 6th September 2015 - 12pm to 5pm

FrankW
Mark has covered just about everything in his post. Me and Daphne will be there about 10.30 - 11.00. we intend to set up the club tent on the field and sell our eve popular mini-kites from there and also at the hall where the kite making workshop under the capable hands of Vernon and the crew is taking place, anyone else feel free to pop in and help them out for a spell - I will be.

Let's hope for a dry day with a good wind :)

Hope to see you all there!

Frank.

Frank Wright

I have just heard from the Layer Marney Towers event organiser. The big field will be open from 10.00AM on the day.
Frank Wright

Re: Layer Marney Towers Kite Festival - 6th September 2015 - 12pm to 5pm

EKG WebMaster
Administrator
Well, that's good news as I put kiters from 10 am on the website a couple of weeks ago.

I was having visions of the early flyers arriving to find the gate locked and teaming together with lifter kites to get their cars over the gate. You've heard of man lifters, could have been van lifters.
EKG WebMaster

Re: Layer Marney Towers Kite Festival - 6th September 2015 - 12pm to 5pm

Turboman
As long as its not shirt lifters

The weather is looking really good for the Layer Marney Kite Festival tomorrow, wind from the north west, 9-16mph, dry with broken cloud, temperature 17 degrees. Hope to see you all there!
Frank Wright

Re: Layer Marney Towers Kite Festival - 6th September 2015 - 12pm to 5pm

FrankW
Great day at Layer Marney!

Wind could have been more steady, but I think everyone got kites in the air, even me:)
Frank Wright

Re: Layer Marney Towers Kite Festival - 6th September 2015 - 12pm to 5pm

Turboman
Wheres the pictures

Re: Layer Marney Towers Kite Festival - 6th September 2015 - 12pm to 5pm

Mark
You had to be there to see them

Re: Layer Marney Towers Kite Festival - 6th September 2015 - 12pm to 5pm

Turboman
Did not fancy the drive as I have done a lot just lately. It was going to be another 130 round trip. If the conditions are OK for tomorrow I will be at Hainault with the old codgers only 15 min drive. I also have Epping Forest, 5 min drive. Get my drift.

Re: Layer Marney Towers Kite Festival - 6th September 2015 - 12pm to 5pm

Mark
Hows that working out for you - flying in the forest?

Reminds me of this:

Re: Layer Marney Towers Kite Festival - 6th September 2015 - 12pm to 5pm

Turboman
It's not exactly in the forest its on Chingford plains which is part of Epping Forest. I have mentioned this before but its alway fell on deaf ears so I haven't bothered any more. It's a big area, bigger than Hainault or Thorndon.  Its easy to get to by public transport as it right opposite Chingford Station. The car parking is FREE. Toilets, if you use the facilities in the cafe you can use theres or go up the hill to the Pub or the Butlers retreat restaurant. I can get there in 5 mins and dont have to drive hundreds of bloody miles.

Re: Layer Marney Towers Kite Festival - 6th September 2015 - 12pm to 5pm

Glad you had a good day and a good turnout. Was thinking of you all and hoping the weather was as good as it was where I was in Leicestershire

Re: Layer Marney Towers Kite Festival - 6th September 2015 - 12pm to 5pm

That would entail a 2 1/2hr journey for me @ £18 assuming trains are not disrupted. You'll have to bring the subject up at the next AGM, we do seem to have a few members from smoke that may welcome the idea.

Yes, weather was good on the whole, kites floated down a few times but it was a successful day.

Re: Layer Marney Towers Kite Festival - 6th September 2015 - 12pm to 5pm

Flybig
Not another flying site down south essex