Layer Marney Towers - June 18th 2017

Mark
This post was updated on .
This was the day that the clubs shelter was worth it's weight in gold, we very quickly erected it thanks to a bit less wind than when it was last used (Royston) and a few co-ordinated helpers. We all quickly claimed our spaces within and it protected us from the blistering heat of the day and it served as a great community hub.

We were situated down the bottom of the field and with a light wind from the south.. and the tree line further down you would think flying would have been impossible. Well, it was - but not for all of us.
Nasa Man was having the time of his life (OK maybe slight exaggeration) flying one of his smaller kites and keeping us thoroughly entertained as he actively steered the kite gracefully if full 360's, at times stopping to pose Tai Chi like poses.
Throughout the morning there were brief puffs of wind but we found it very difficult to keep a kite aloft for long, I got good exercise in trying so all was not lost. There's a saying that goes something like "A good kiter doesn't run with their kite", but in the morning walking with your kite was perfectly acceptable.

Meanwhile Daphne fired up her new contraption for a brew and I must mention that her and Frank were sporting the very latest in kite group fashion apparel, polo tops with EKG embroidered badges on the front and Essex Kite Group in large letters across the back. These will be available to purchase through the clubs Secretary Frank.

People mocked me as I said I would have an early lunch in order to take full advantage of the rising afternoon wind... and sure enough straight after having a lovely plated meal sat at a table in the shelter - how civilised we can be at times, though it was pointed out I had forgotten the cream to go on our desert, the wind rose almost instantly and all available kites were launched.

We had a wonderful afternoon flying but kept ourselves under the shelter most of the time as the heat was a bit too much, we drank plenty and were entertained by ball and Frisbee games, music and a game of find the £1 coin in the massive field which Ben had lost.

All in all, it was a brilliant day out and I can't see why more of the clubs members didn't attend, yes it was a hot day but if you wear protection and stay in the shade, most will be fine. My 80 year old mother thoroughly enjoyed the relaxing day. Our attendance wasn't the only one to suffer though, we heard that the visitors were down at the classic car meeting, we didn't see very many cars at all parked at the top of the field, I guess most folk headed for the beaches.

Our kite group is very fortunate to be able to fly at Layer Marney Towers, it's a wonderful place to visit and the huge field is very flat, it's ideal for us so I'd like to thank Layer Marney Towers for allowing us to hold meetings there. [dream mode on]It would also be a brilliant venue to fly, have a BBQ and a night flight[dream mode off].

The day was ended by three adults having three different interpretations of instructions on how to fold a Quechua tent, quite amusing , luckily the Glampers had gone by then so those involved didn't feel so embarrassed.

Mark

Photos now online at EKG Photo Gallery site

Re: Layer Marney Towers - June 18th 2017

willibob
Hi all and thanks Mark for the report on the day. Sorry I couldn't have been there but I have to finish some non kiting projects and running out of time before I go into hospital next month.
Glad you managed some flying I didn't think flying would be possible except for indoor designs.
Looking forward seeing you all in the future
Ern

Re: Layer Marney Towers - June 18th 2017

Mark
This post was updated on .
 I forgot to mention, it was said in the morning that if we held a kite altitude sprint, the tallest person would have won it. I had my Ninja up for a while after a very long-line launch but it wasn't long before it was forced down, hot air can be so heavy at times!

Good to hear from you Ern & wishing you a successful hospital visit.

Re: Layer Marney Towers - June 18th 2017

Mark
Photos are now on the EKG Photo Gallery site

Re: Layer Marney Towers - June 18th 2017

FrankW
Thanks Mark for putting up the photos. It was a lovely day with a bit of kite flying as well!

I am really glad you talked me into bringing the club shelter Mark as the sun was fierce.

Great to see Harry Hammond and his family there, I hope they all enjoyed themselves as much as it appeared.

I will send out an email about the polo shirts with some images of what they look like :)

Cheers, Frank.

Frank Wright

Re: Layer Marney Towers - June 18th 2017

Turboman
WE could not be there as we were traveling back from my son birthday party. Hot, yes by crikey we had the air con on full blast all the way back and when we got out of the car it was like opening the door to a furnace. Then of course the Sunday was fathers day so had the family round for a BBQ.

Re: Layer Marney Towers - June 18th 2017

Mark
Not forgetting the shelter has build in UV protection, just a shame it's so hard to put up in 25mph winds!

Yes John, your absence was noted on Sunday, we thought you would turn up.

Re: Layer Marney Towers - June 18th 2017

Turboman
Yes I planned on this one but got the orders we are going to our son's Ray for his birthday, but he is out on tour with Elton John ses I,  yes but he will be home for a few days, so when are we going, tomorrow was the reply and the daughter in laws parent will be there and they are coming from Holland. I began to feel all my jingle room was gone. So off to Southampton. There goes another great kiting day out I wonder what a divorce would cost. Probably more than a lot of kites. So fingers crossed for the next one.