Hylands Park 29th May 2016

Mark
Not the best supported club meeting we've had, only 3 of us turned up!
It can't be the weather that put people off because it was mostly sunny and we had a reasonable wind.
Perhaps it was the fact that there was also a dog show on in the park.

You would have thought that the field would have been infested with dog walkers - but it was the opposite, you could have counted the dog walkers for the day on one hand.
The field was long grass (some conversation sh*t), we were happy in the knowledge though that all the car parking areas were nice and short cut grass and the activity area, our flying area was l_o_n_g grass /ends sarcasm. At least the grass was dry and it didn't effect us at all.

That aside, we had a great day of flying. Frank flew his trusty flow-tail delta that Daphne had so ruthlessly cut out of the sky a few days beforehand and which had landed up in a tree as all kite do. He also dusted off a very early Peter Powell 2 line kite which we both had a lot of fun with until the ages old tape holding it together came off. Daphe - who remained seated throughout flew her new(ish) trilobite and later a 36 sled and a small and colourful bol. I flew my Barbara Meyer 81 power-sled and my Techi-colour delta which towed the Essex Kite Group banner all day advertising our club to the 1000's of visitors to the park that day.

Daphne's new feather banner.

Also, a panorama showing the cars parked everywhere can be seen in the EKG gallery
http://photos.essexkitegroup.co.uk/#!home

Oh, and one last thing.. The parking police. You didn't get any choice where you parked, Daphne & Frank followed directions then stepped out of line and doubled back to find a parking spot closer to where we were flying. In the afternoon I went up the field and had to cross the in-coming line of traffic, a kind motorist stopped and waved me across but I got shouted at to stop and not cross until he (the traffic police) says so. Yeah right!

reg

Re: Hylands Park 29th May 2016

reg
You were right about the other event putting people off.We arrived about 10.30 and were directed to a parking space in our usual flying field which was already three quarters full.We considered going on the long grass but it would have meant weaving through the parked cars with kites chairs etc.In future I am going to check if there are other events going on before driving all the way there.

Re: Hylands Park 29th May 2016

Turboman
Glad we did not go as we were going to. June was not well so we gave it a miss but I would have been well peeeed off if I of gone all the way to parked up by some plonka who dont know his bum from his elbow. Like Reg I will check in future to see if there is any thing els on. Planning for next year worth checking to see if there are any other events before putting the venue in the diary.

Re: Hylands Park 29th May 2016

FrankW
The Secretary writes:

"When I sorted out the agenda for this year, before the AGM so that it could be published in the magazine. THIS PET SHOW EVENT WAS NOT ON THE HYLANDS PARK WEBSITE."

Thank you.
Frank Wright

Re: Hylands Park 29th May 2016

Turboman
Calm down dear it was only a suggestion

Re: Hylands Park 29th May 2016

Looks like it was a great days flying sadly missed by the majority of members. Their loss.
But it is disappointing for Frank who has put a lot of time and effort in producing the events calendar to be criticized by members who do very little in supporting the club, only want to fly in their own back yard & can't be bothered to support the club events.
Unfortunately for the club this park is very popular with the public due to easy access and free parking because of the conditions of the legacy left to Chelmsford council. However the council tries to recover running costs by having as many official events as possible throughout the year fortunately not many use the field we use, but it does have an effect on the parking availability so get their early and claim your spot like the dog walkers do
During my time as secretary I had to cancel on the day on more than one occasion due to official events which had come on the calendar after I had put together the programme of meetings and using the field we use.
I was always disappointed with the support given to this site considering the majority of the club membership was based within a radius of 15 miles.
If you don't want your club to go the same as GOKF, SKF and others then support it. You may think I'm the pot calling the kettle but I did give 10 yrs dedication to the club and enjoy kite flying so much that I now get invites to kiting events all over the country and cant get to all the club meetings due to other commitments but I try to get to as many as I can even if I have to travel.