David's parafoil

Mark
Sold as having a tangled bridle, it took all of 10 seconds to fix that.

Basically, the kite looked in very good condition and I suspect it hadn't had a great deal of use.
Between the showers I tried it out and initially all the kite wanted to do was go tail down ground-wards. I checked for sand (or lead weights) in the trailing edge and found neither.
The kite has 3 sets of 4 bridles and I figured the rear set needed lengthening slightly and the front set shortening slightly.... not an easy task just to test out a theory so instead I clove-hitched the front set of bridles around a piece of dowel (did this twice, 2 dowels) and repeated this on the middle bridle set - but only once this time... thus shortening the middle set a bit and the front set even more.
The result was that the kite flew much better but was rather tippy to either side, I added a 5m fuzzy tail and the kite was much happier.

Adding dowels or anything similar to a bridle line is a great way to temporarily shorten it by about an inch or so & so I normally carry a few in my kite bag.

With this particular kite, shortening the front bridles by so much has meant that they are now shorter than I would recommend... the shorter they are the more the sides of the kite are pulled together which increases the chances of it collapsing if caught by a gust of wind from the side. Luckily I also bought a set of 2-line kite lines - so I have plenty of line to completely replace the bridles with a longer set

Anyway, the upshot of all this is that David's kite will be flying high at future club meetings & hopefully you may have learnt a trick or two in dealing with your own kite problems.

What tips can you share?

Re: David's parafoil

Turboman
Davids kite with the long tail. I assembled it in the lounge of course, and there are a few very minor repairs to be done but nothing to worry about. The tail was a bit tangled and what ever is inside was broken. So I cut it off and it looks like a plastic cup so could not stand the pressure so broke up. I found a piece of plastic pipe just the perfect size. I was hoping to get it sorted tonight for tomorrow but my dentist phone and brought forward my check up for 9.30 in the morning and I have to go out shortly so dont think its going to happen for tomorrow. The weather is not looking to good for old codgers but if its on I will be a bit late. Hope theres no fillings.

Re: David's parafoil

Turboman
Got to the dentist in plenty of time in fact got there a bit early only to sit there for about an hour and a half. Sorry ses he running a bit late with me thinking then why the bloody hell did you call me in for 9.30 DICK'ED
So did not get home 11.45. The forecast was it would be pelting down by then so gave up any thoughts of joining the Codgers as I would not have got their until about 1pm. Dentist, Doctors and hospitals should be fined for late appointments like they do on the trains. If any body got to Thorndon I hope you got some in the air before it rained. Consolation if you can call it that its now raining O well may as well get back to the decorating. I was asked on Sunday are you selling your house with all this decorating, sod that I dont want to give all my hard work to someone else, I want to live init myself. I do have Davids long tail to repair so may just slip off to the work shop.