Capstone Festival - Kite 'n' Bikes 2013

Mark
This post was updated on .
Arriving at the wrong entrance to the park first we were guided to the right entrance then through what seemed like a rabbits warren of tracks & out onto a field where we had to ask again where we were supposed to be headed... "Down there, alongside the tree line" we were told.
OK, so I can see trees but it looks like we're the first to arrive? Surely not? Over the brow of the hill and we saw the rest of the gang.. though our timing wasn't so perfect as the shelter was only just going up.
The kite event was a joint effort between the Kent Kite Flyers, Brighton Kite Flyers, Suffolk Kite Flyers and ourselves - the Essex Kite Group and for the size of the field we were allocated we had a very good turnout.
The field, surrounded by trees on 3 sides with a slight slope was dotted with fresh mushrooms, it was such a shame we didn't bring any bacon and eggs, we could have had such a nice fry up before getting down to business.
The morning presented us with low cloud, occasional missel and very little wind. The first kite in the air was a Pearson Roller which required quite a bit of input to keep it aloft. My first attempt was with a Dunton Taylor but even that wasn't performing too well so I switched to my trusty Urban Ninja which flew the rest of the morning - sometimes out of sight
At times it looked very much like the day was turning out to be much more of a social event rather than a kite flying event but we did do our very best, the most kites I counted airborne at any time was 12 early afternoon.
The low cloud was supposed to break lunch-time revealing sunshine - but unfortunately it didn't happen - but at least it was dryer!
During the day between us we flew a good selection of kites, at one time we saw a big lifter kite (KAP-Foil?) in the air but as soon as some enthusiastic person attached line laundry, it promptly descended never to go up again. A disappointing day for anyone wanting to fly their big show kites but I personally enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and friendship between the different kite clubs as well as the challenging flying conditions with light winds, damp kites and soggy wet line adding extra weight.
It was nice to have a 1000ft ceiling but would have been nice if light aircraft would have observed our airspace, it's not like we ever fly higher than permitted.
Heading home and crossing the Dartford bridge, blue skies were beginning to appear, half an hour later there was hardly a cloud in sight... just as well the wind didn't pick up!

Re: Capstone Festival - Kite 'n' Bikes 2013

Re: Capstone Festival - Kite 'n' Bikes 2013

Mark
Mini, it looks like you're shooting blanks.

Re: Capstone Festival - Kite 'n' Bikes 2013

Turboman
Yes, I have been for years its called a vasectomy.
I tried to put up a picture but must have been to big. I have not got the time to mess with it so decided to leave it until later on. Putting the kitchen back together so had to get it finished so I can go flying tomorrow.
It look like the weather is going to be fair so if the wind dont blow I will sit out in my big chair and do bugger all. Bliss.

My camera didn't see daylight Sunday - so if you have some pictures to share we'd like to see them. I did notice you at one point photographing the very relaxed ladies bashing out the Z's
Don't think it's a lifter day tomorrow, it's another day for the lightweight stuff. I'll be flying in the afternoon locally.

Re: Capstone Festival - Kite 'n' Bikes 2013

Turboman
I will send you what I have